Get to know some student-athletes Posted on November 5th, 2014 by

Evan Jones

Evan Jones ’17
cross country
Pella, IA

How did you decide to attend Gustavus?

I immediately felt at home on the campus and was in love with the school. Unfortunately, I went through 11 more school visits just to be sure I had it right before I actually committed.

Tell us about your student-athlete experience.

Being a Gustie has been fantastic. The support system is really something to be proud of.  It hasn’t always been easy, but it has become obvious to me that Gusties like doing hard things, and when you have such a great system of coaches, students, professors and administrators, it makes those tougher goals easier to achieve.

How do you balance academics and athletics?

Sleep. I am a firm opponent of all-nighters and without sleep I know I wouldn’t get anything done. However, in order to get that much needed sleep I have to manage my time carefully. I also picked up the philosophy of “working smarter, not harder”, so I use the awesome resources that Gustavus provides to get my work done in a timely fashion in order for me to get enough sleep to be ready to conquer the next day.

Karlye Smith

Karlye Smith ’15
women’s soccer defender
Eau Claire, WI

How did you decide to attend Gustavus?

I came home from school and told my mom that I wanted to visit one more school. I was told to check out Gustavus by one of my friend’s parents. I came to take a tour and fell in love.  Gustavus felt like it was the place for me.

Describe your student-athlete experience.

It’s a wonderful experience and has taught me a lot. I consider it a privilege to be a student-athlete and to represent Gustavus. I enjoy making new friends and connecting with other student-athletes. My experience has helped me shape who I am today, how I handle situations and how I am as a leader. It’s been great being able to play a sport I love and being able to balance it with academics and everything else.

Balancing academics and athletics is tricky. During season, it’s all about scheduling and making sure nothing conflicts and if something does, it involves a lot of communication with everyone.  It’s finding ways to relax, compartmentalizing school, reality, and sports and just focusing on one thing at a time. Being a student-athlete is such an accomplishment and a privilege. You have another family of coaches and players that will help you with anything.

Jake Forcier

Jake Forcier ’15
football defensive back
Watkins, MN

How did you decide to attend Gustavus?

During my visit to Gustavus I noticed how nice the people were and how good the food was.  That was all it took to grab my attention.  After attending a couple football games Gustavus steadily crept towards the top of my list.  At the time I was considering athletic training as my major, and Gustavus was the only school that would allow me to play football and major in athletic training. I could not be happier with my decision to attend Gustavus.

I have truly been able to get the best of both worlds.  I am held to high standards in the classroom and on the football field.  Our coaches have done a tremendous job emphasizing the importance of performing academically.  Academics have always been a priority for me, and at Gustavus there are many equally motivated student-athletes around you.  Some of the senior leaders on the football team during my freshman year set a great example of what it took to excel on and off the field.  Today I am involved in multiple organizations around campus and I am also a football captain this season.  I feel honored to be able to attend Gustavus where I am able to get an irreplaceable education while still competing in the best Division III conference in the country.

I am big on routines, so balancing football and my school work has never been a big problem.  I learned early my freshman year that I am far more productive during the day than I am at night.  I schedule my day and stay ahead in my classes.  I have become good at prioritizing what needs to be done in my spare time, then later in the day I will be able to have some social time to unwind instead of just starting homework.

Kelle Nett

Kelle Nett ’16
volleyball and basketball
Spring Valley, IL

How did you decide to attend Gustavus?

I was familiar with Gustavus because my brother attended Gustavus.  I visited other Minnesota schools and Gustavus last. I could really see myself at Gustavus, so I knew I had found the right place to be.

I’ve always loved volleyball and basketball, so I feel extremely lucky to be able to continue to play both sports at Gustavus.  It’s a great experience being a student-athlete not only because I’m able to continue to play the sports I love, but I’ve made so many close friend through both sports.

One thing I’ve noticed is that I’m more productive during season than out of season.  When time for studying and class work is shared with practices and games, I know that I need to utilize the free time I do have for school work.  It also helps a great deal to be surrounded by teammates with the same hectic schedules.  We often study together or sit in the library together, which makes all the work seem not as bad.